Follow My Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

1.10.2014

12x12 Bag with Written Tutorial!

The internet is a lovely place, isn't it? A while ago, I searched out how to make a 12x12 bag from DSP.  I found many lovely examples, but nothing like what I was looking for. I wanted to use only one sheet of DSP and I wanted it to be big enough to fit my standard-sized cards in it.

I am a paper hoarder and thought creating bags from my retired DSP to sell and give away would be perfect for all the shows I was doing in the fall. I could use them for a promotional tool, and people could buy them and use them to give my cards as gifts.


They were a hit! They were also a hit with my fellow Demos when I brought one originally for show and share and then taught them how to make their very own. Now I will teach you too…

WHAT YOU NEED:
  • Stampin' Up! 12x12 DSP (If not SU!, must be double-sided) 
  • Simply Scored 
  • Paper Snips 
  • Sticky Strip 

WHAT YOU DO:
  1. Choose your preferred side of your paper. Make sure you score properly so that the area you want showcased works. For my sample above, I had to make sure I scored it properly to accommodate the pattern (that was only on part of the DSP). You also want to make sure that a pattern won't be upside-down when you flip over the top flap.
  2. Score your 12x12 paper at: 3/8", 5-3/8", 6-1/4" and 11-1/4".
  3. Turn your paper a quarter turn and score at 2" (top) and 11-1/4" to make a 3/4" bottom. Again, make sure you score the right sides that you want to be the top and bottom of your bag, if your paper isn't a consistent pattern throughout.
  4. Cut your tabs. Cut along each vertical line, up to the 3/4" score line (bottom of the bag).
  5. Optional: cut angles in your tabs at the bottom of your bag. I do this because I think it's a cleaner look.
  6. Crease along all your score lines and fold over your top "handle".
  7. Run a piece of Sticky Strip down the 3/8" side. It's important to run it as close to the edge as possible.
  8. Peel and stick your two sides together. Do not overlap the two sides past the Sticky Strip, otherwise your bag will be wonky. (Note: This is the only way I could make my bag work properly to the dimensions I needed from one piece of DSP). :)
  9. Add a piece of Sticky Strip to one of the bottom tabs and adhere together.
  10. Pinch & crease the sides slightly at the top to give the bag a little more dimension.
  11. Punch your handles using the XL Oval Punch from Stampin' Up!. Punch one side at a time.
  12. Optional: create tags from the punched-out ovals. You know me, I like to use every last bit of paper! ha.
  13. Your bag is complete! Use it how you like. I've used mine for cards (fits anywhere from one to eight 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" cards & envelopes depending on how many embellies you have on them). I've also used them for small gifts.
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial. I'd love to hear what you think! I also don't mind you sharing this, but please do not sell my tutorial because I have given it to you for free. I would also appreciate you credit me/my site if you share.

Until next time, stay crafty!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I truly appreciate it and love reading what you have to say!